- Clinical Psychology
The Department of Clinical Psychology is one of the oldest departments in All India Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore. It is well documented that persons with Communication Disorders exhibit problems in psychosocial dimensions. This can manifest as either cause, associated problems or as the consequence of their primary communication problems. The problems with psychosocial dimensions can be ameliorated only through psychotherapeutic intervention and rehabilitation. Admittedly, the activities of the department are centered.
- To expose, elucidate and educate about the psychosocial dimensions of human speech, hearing, language and communication behavior at all levels of manpower development programs;
- To carryout applied or action oriented cross-disciplinary research with an emphasis on the psychosocial dimensions of human speech, hearing, language and communication behavior;
- To extend diagnostic and therapeutic services to persons affected by speech, hearing, language and communication disorders and thereby optimizing their quality of lives; and,
- To conduct and participate in public education activities that create awareness about the psychosocial aspects involved in the prevention, identification and management of communication disorders.
Aims and objectives
- Develop knowledge and skills in the identification and management of persons with mental and behavioral disorders through the generation of manpower.
- To introduce/get familiarized with the core clinical, academic skills along with the inculcation of professional attitude needed to be a competent professional.
- Determine diagnosis, assess developmental skills, and obtain a complete understanding of the client for treatment and service planning.
- To alleviate the emotional disturbances, reverse or change maladaptive patterns of behavior, and encourage personality growth and development in persons with communication problems and in their family.
Faculty Members / Staff
|Mr. Freddy Antony
Assistant Professor in Clinical Psychology and Head
Ph Off : 2502144
|Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Gupta
Ph Off : 2502146
|Dr. Purusotham P
Ph Off : 2502144
Ph Off : 2502143
|Dr. Yashodhara Kumar G.Y
Clinical Psychologist Gr – II
Ph Off : 2502146
|Ms. Simron Soni
Clinical Psychologist Grade II
Ph Off : 0821 2502147
|Mr. Akash S
Ph Off : 0821 2502147
- The department is involved in clinical services by carrying out individualized, detailed diagnostic and intervention based psycho-educational assessments of children at risk, and those with various types of communication disorders and developmental disabilities including mental retardation, autism, speech delays, learning disabilities, and multiple handicaps.
- Individual and group counseling services, vocational guidance and coaching guidelines for adult living are given regularly for needy individuals with communication disorders or their family members.
- Certification for securing various benefit or concessions or for testifying in medico legal cases made available by the Central/State governments for persons with disabilities is routinely dispensed for eligible cases.
- Parent and teacher training programs are regularly conducted for target caregivers of children with special needs.
- A highlight of the departmental activities co-ordination of some institute programs such as, Certificate Course for Caregivers of Children with Developmental Disabilities (C4D2), 'Sensitizing Teachers on Academic Problems in School Children in Karnataka’ under AIISH-SSA Project, Student Counseling, NSS, etc.
- Orientation, advocacy cum empowerment programs are organized for NGO or parent self help groups in the field of disabilities and impairments. Limited number of seats for guidance on doctoral/pre-doctoral programs in psychology affiliated to the University of Mysore is available for meritorious students.
Centre for Neuropsychological Research and Rehabilitation:
A Centre for Neuropsychological Research and Rehabilitation was inaugurated by Hon’ble Justice Dr. N Santhosh Hegde, Former Lokayukta, Karnataka State on 9th August, 2013.
The centre serves as a nodal point in the area of neuro-cognitive research and rehabilitation for clinical conditions like Aphasia, Cerbrovascular Accidents (Stroke or CVA), Learning Disability (LD), Cerebral Palsy, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Parkinson’s Disease, Dementias, and other progressive or non progressive neurological disorders.
The service offered in the centre includes:
- Assessment of specific function of the brain through standard individualized test.
- Detailed assessment of lobular functions through standardized batteries.
- Rehabilitation through paper pencil techniques or through computer assisted packages.
Research activities and Outputs
A. Research Projects Completed
- Caregivers as Teachers for Kids with Developmental Disabilities (CATS for KiDDs)
- Personality Correlates of Voice Disorders
- Development & standardization of Activity Checklist for Preschool Children with Developmental Disabilities (ACPC-DD)
- Revalidation of Gessells Drawing Test of Intelligence for Children with Communication Disorders
- Development of Toy Kits for Infants, Toddlers and Preschool Children with Developmental Disabilities
- Cost Benefit Analysis of Service Benefits given to Persons with Disabilities
- Development and Standardization of Autism Behavior Checklist for Disability Estimation (A2E)
- Process Evaluation of DHLS Program conducted through Actual vis-à-vis Virtual modes
- Sensitizing Teachers on Academic Problems in School Children in Karnataka
- Enabling And Empowering Siblings of Children with Disabilities
- Impact Evaluation of Training Courses in Rehabilitation and Special Education under Rehabilitation Council of India
- Development and standardization of graded spelling test for children with Learning disabilities
- Intervention Strategies for Number Remediation Skills in Preschool/Primary School Children
- Play Activities for Children with Mental Retardation
- Development and standardization of graded Mathematics test for children with Learning disabilities
- Cognitive Assessment Devices for Neurogenic Speech Disorders
- Development and Standardization of a Questionnaire for Early Identification of Psychosocial Issues in Children with Cleft Lip and Palate
- Case Study on Access Audit of Public Service Facilities for Persons with Disabilities’
- Impact evaluation of government benefits and concessions provided to persons with mental retardation belonging to Mysore district-ARF Project
- Disability Evaluation in Mental retardation: An Evaluation using WHODAS 2.0 In A Clinical Setting
- Development of Tou Usage Index for Children with Developmental disabilities
- Feasibility of Standardized Neurophycologial Tests in Assessment of Patients with Aphasia
B. On-Going Projects - NIL
C. Available Tools & Departmental Publications for Sale - NIL
D. Doctoral Research
Although a limited number, ongoing doctoral research programs in affiliation to the University of Mysore, with prior sanction from Board of Studies in Psychology and after obtaining permission from the competent authorities in the Institute is available with the department.
Details of completed Doctoral research
Details of Ongoing Doctoral research
Brochure / Pamphlet of Toy Kits