Centre of Excellence
About Centre of Excellence
The Hon’ble Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, New Delhi accorded administrative approval for the Up-gradation of the Institute as Centre of Excellence in the field of Communication Disorders at a total cost of Rs.137crore (for Infrastructure, Staff and Equipments) on 18th July, 2013.
Conceptualized with a goal to be a world class Centre of Excellence for persons with communication disorders, the centre bring together an interdisciplinary group of academicians, clinicians, technologists and researchers. The mandate of the Centre is to encourage comprehensive research on an identified problem, to provide state of the art clinical services and to provide assistive technology & surgical solutions for rehabilitation. The centre will undertake training, research, clinical services and extension activities to improve the lives of persons with communication disorders and to empower them with knowledge and resources. In collaboration with people with communication disorders and their caregivers, the centre will focus to generate new knowledge to improve the holistic understanding of their problems and will work on reducing their disadvantages.
- Capacity building to bridge the gap between the need and the availability of professionals for assessment and rehabilitation of persons with communication disorders.
- Conducting basic and applied multidisciplinary research which will create database, tests and norms for Indian population.
- Capacity building to enhance the reach of clinical services for persons with communication disorders.
- Enhancing public awareness on communication disorders.
The Centre of Excellence is housed in a building which is spread over four floors with a total plinth area of 2,71,249 sft. The research, clinical and outreach centres housed in the building are equipped with state of the art laboratories and facilities for diagnosis, assessment and rehabilitation of persons with communication disorders.
- Centre for Speech and Language Sciences (C – SLS)
- Centre for Hearing Sciences (C – HS)
- Centre for Prevention of Communication Disorders & Epidemiological Research & Cognitive Behavioral Science in Communication Disorder (C – PEC)
- Centre for Rehabilitation engineering, Acoustics & Biomedical engineering (CRAB)
- Centre for AAC & Sign Language (C – AAC & SL)
- Centre for speech and language disorders in children, adults and senior citizens
- Centre for persons with tinnitus and vestibular disorders
- Centre for hearing Impairment in children, adult & senior citizens
- Centre for persons with swallowing disorders
- Centre for surgical rehabilitation of communication disorders
- Publication wing/ Library and Information Centre
- Centre for public education in communication disorders